In June 2014, an Iowa mom named Lucinda noticed her 2-week-old son was acting particularly strange and crying nonstop. Lucinda, whose daughter was 2 years old at the time, knew the difference between a “hungry cry” and a cry alerting her to a bigger problem. It wasn’t long before baby Ezra’s skin was turning red.
When Lucina took Ezra’s temperature, it was nearly 102 degrees. She rushed him to the hospital.
Ezra underwent a spinal tap, which revealed he had a serious case of listeria meningitis, an infection of the brain. Lucinda couldn’t believe what doctors were telling her.
Babies typically acquire listeria meningitis at the time of delivery from their mother, who typically acquires it from a food she has recently consumed.
What on Earth did Lucinda eat that could have caused Ezra’s horrible infection at just 2 weeks old?!
Scroll down to discover the culprit…
Screenshot / KETV
Lucinda went on high alert when her 2-week-old son was exhibiting strange symptoms. He was crying all day, his skin was turning a shade of red, and he was hot to the tough.
She listened to her gut instinct and rushed Ezra to Children’s Hospital & Medical Center.
Photo Credits: http://www.yourhealtheducator.com/
A spinal tap showed that Ezra was stricken with a case of listeria meningitis, a dangerous infection of the brain.
Lucinda was shocked. She thought she had taken all the right steps, just like with her 2-year-old daughter, to ensure a safe and healthy baby.
Babies typically acquire listeria meningitis at the time of delivery from their mother, who typically acquires it from a food she consumed while pregnant.
So, what caused Ezra’s life-threatening illness?
The culprit was cold cuts.
Photo Credits: http://www.pixabay.com/
Refrigerated deli meats, cheeses, and deli products usually served cold host listeria bacteria, a bacteria that can live at the refrigerated temperature. While deli meats are safe for adults to consume, pregnant woman should not eat them, as babies in the womb have immune systems that simply cannot fight off listeria meningitis.
Unless the food has been thoroughly heated and is steaming hot, deli meats such as ham, turkey, salami, and bologna, as well as hot dogs, are unsafe for pregnant women.
Had Ezra’s meningitis gone untreated, Lucinda says she would have lost him. She shared her story to warn other pregnant women about the illness that made her son so sick.
All parents should be aware of this terrifying infection, and how consuming cold cuts can be potentially deadly for babies in the womb.