When it comes to meat, most people thaw out their frozen items either on the counter or in the fridge. Turns out, its the wrong way to do it and theres a very important reason why.
That reason why is called bacteria! When you defrost meat using the conventional methods that you were taught were safe, what you’re actually doing is inviting the bacteria to make fast friends with your expensive ribeye steak. From there, the germs will do what they do best – multiple, spread, and possibly leave you with a dangerous bout of food poisoning!
Here’s a fun fact – defrosting meat in the microwave is actually one of the fastest ways to grow a colony of icky microbes! That’s because the microwave forces the heat inside the meat to quickly grow into the danger zone, which is a temperature range of between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
In this danger zone, bacteria can double in as little as 20 minutes. If cooking up a fresh new batch of bad bacteria is what you’re after, then this is one of the best ways to make it happen. Ewww!